Tuesday, September 6, 2011

In Which I Look At A Song

I'm putting a plug for a facebook friend into this blog.  Forget the fact that we've only met in person once.  I am excited for him.  I am so glad he is following his dream, and since I, myself, am a bit of a dreamer I fully support him.  And will do what I can to help.  And so I am putting a plug for Antony Bitar in here....

I know a few songs about getting butterflies in your stomach but I can honestly say this is one of the best.  Yeah, I can go into how much I love his use of staccato with the piano, or the syncopated rhythm (I do so love variety in my music!).  I can sigh about the whimsy that enters the song with the strings.  I can mention the fact that the melody lends itself nicely to tight harmonies and is perfect for humming along.  I can tell you I think it's awesome that he stayed true to himself during the video process - I was pretty stoked to see that prayer rope on his wrist in the video.  And I can wax poetic about Antony's voice, itself, with its smooth and, strangely, comforting tone.

But I won't.  The reason I think this song is amazing is really because of two lines.  See, songs that talk about getting butterflies tend to be cute, and this son is no exception.  The difference here is that with all the imagery Antony puts into the song - you can easily put yourself in the singer's place - there are two lines that cut through and strike my heart.  It is because these two lines this song is - officially - the top played in my iTunes library...By a lot.  They are, "It's the feeling you get when your eyes first meet, a little glimpse of what it feels like to be complete..." and "...lead you to your destiny and really show you all of me..."

As someone who is very single I can attest to the drive of these concepts.  I know when I see someone who does, in fact, give me butterflies my imagination soars and I create a future.  It's amazing...Suddenly you feel strangely more alive.  Or at least more awake.  As if, suddenly, you are aware of so much more and can feel so much more.  And, let's be honest here, who doesn't long to show all of us to someone?  We want so badly to be able to have that intimacy with one person - one person who will see us and accept us and tell us that maybe, just maybe, we aren't so bad after all.  Mayhap we do deserve the butterflies they give us.  We want to connect - God didn't make us to be alone.  He made us to be with others. 

It's undeniable:  Butterflies are fun.

So, without further ado, please enjoy the song, itself!  Here is "Butterflies," by Antony Bitar:

No comments:

Post a Comment