Sunday, November 7, 2010

"You look like you can help me....6663!"

This Halloween I did something that I have never, ever done before: I spent Saturday night of Halloween weekend in Isla Vista.  What's more, I spent part of it on Del Playa - the biggest party street in Santa Barbara.  Now, I think, in order for this story to really make sense I need to back up and begin at, well, the beginning.

Thursday night I sat on the patio of Fr. Nicholas and Jan's house with Mary, Cat, Garrett, Fr. Nicholas, and Jenn.  We were at a choir party (which should really be a blog entry in and of itself) and I turned to Fr. Nicholas as we ate. 

"So Fr. Nicholas, are you excited about your first Halloween out of IV?"

He laughed.  "You bet I am."

The conversation then turned to how horrible the situation is in IV during Halloween.  Which roads were closing?  How many extra people were already in IV, waiting for the party to start?  How many injuries do you think there will be?  Oh!  Are we having Vespers on Saturday night?

"Of course we are," Fr. Nicholas answered.  Even though it will be difficult to get into IV?  "We will do it if only for one reason: someone needs to pray for that city."

We then started wondering how on earth the city supervisors (or whomever is in charge) actually let the party happen each year.  After all, there is a serious crime spike over the weekend, not to mention all the unreported assaults, rapes, etc.  It is simply unsafe to have that many people (anywhere between 30 and 40 thousand) in such a small space (one square mile - but mainly on one street) under dangerous influences. 

I brought up Cal Poly and Mardi Gras, and how that used to be comparable to Halloween in IV.  My freshman year of college they started a campaign called "The Party is Over" and now Mardi Gras isn't an issue.  Jenn was amazed.  "We should start that here.  I wonder who we would have to talk to if we want to get that started?  I know tons of people who would sign that."  She then went on to talk about the Santa Barbara Street Medicine group that she volunteers with on Halloween.  She explained that a first aid station is set up at our church, and that she has actually gone into the thick of the partying to search out people who are lost, hurt, or confused and help them. 

I turned to Mary.  She nodded, and I looked back at Jenn.  "How does one go about getting involved in this?" I asked. 

"Do you want to stop by?  You might have to sign waivers and stuff, but I'm sure they would love to have you."

"Well, it's my church," Fr. Nicholas said, half-joking.  "And I give them a very high recommendation.  I say they can do it."  We all laughed, and I turned to Mary as the conversation drifted to other topics.

"Mare," I said.  "I really think we should do this."

"I know, Steph.  I think we should, too." 

The decision had been made.  We were doing it.  After Vespers on Saturday night we would stay late and ask if they needed any help.

Saturday night rolled around and I left extra early for Vespers - it still took me about double the length of time to get to church than any normal Saturday evening.  And although it was only 5:30, there were people already getting into costume and party mode.  I arrived at church and stood, fascinated, as I watched group after group of party-goers walk past.  I looked at a few other church-goers and shook my head. "It just doesn't sound fun," I said. 

After Vespers I was told to come back in a few hours, as that would be when extra hands would be needed.  I told Mary, and we tried to work out the best way to get into IV.  We could park far away and walk, or we could bike.  We could drive in and hope there would be a space left in the church parking lot (the spaces would be sold as a fundraiser for the homeless outreach our church does).  We decided to try our luck with the parking spot, so at 11:00 Mitchell, Mary, and I slowly drove into Isla Vista and made our way to church.  We pulled in and explained that we were volunteering, so we were waved in. 

After a few minutes of confusion, in which we were told we needed to pay for the parking spot, then told we didn't need to, then told we did need to, and finally told we didn't, we introduced ourselves to the other volunteers - mostly pre-med seniors - and waited for a carful of partiers to come to rent a parking space. 

In the first hour there were about 2 cars, so we did our duty and rented out the spaces.  After a little more time we looked at each other and decided it was time to don the reflective vests and head onto Del Playa (DP) to see if there was anyone who needed help. 

As we walked down the street, heading toward DP, we passed the search and rescue station.  The firefighters, cops, and search and rescue workers who were sitting at the station smiled and waved at us as we walked by.  We smiled and waved back, and I felt slightly excited by the sense of acceptance and camaraderie that was shared. 

After passing the search and rescue station we turned onto Del Playa.  Suddenly I was on full alert. 


Yeah...This is really what it was like.
It was like Disneyland - but a warped, twisted, evil Disneyland.  No matter which direction you were walking, you were walking against the flow of traffic.  People in costumes came toward me, and I had to dodge to keep from being run over.  At one point Mary was afraid she would be thrown up on.  People were yelling at us as we walked past: "Caltrans!" or "Construction workers..." or "GO GIANTS!"

We had walked to the end of the street when a girl dressed as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz stumbled up to us.  Her eyes were slightly unfocused, and she seemed to be struggling to figure out who to look at.  Finally she clapped her hands together.  "You look like you can help me...6663!" 

We stared at her for a second until I said, "You need to get to 6663?" 

"6663.  I wish I could sound smarter than that.  6663."

We looked around.  We were at 6679 so we turned around with her and headed back the direction we came from, toward 6663.  As we walked together we were extra careful - there were mounted police and drunk people everywhere and this girl was drunk.  She looked at me with big eyes as we walked.  "Oh man.  I was like a lost puppy when you found me.  This is so scary.  I can't find my friends.  I was in totally the wrong direction.  This should not be allowed."

"It would definitely be much safer if it wasn't allowed."

We chatted some more as we walked - she was completely oblivious to all the people and potential dangers around - and when we finally found 6663 she turned to give us all hugs.  "Thank you so much!!"  She ran into the house (which looked pretty dark).

A police officer pulled me aside.  "Are you guys helping people who are lost?"  I nodded.  "Well I sent a guy on his way up there.  He's a white guy wearing flip flops, jeans, and a tank top.  He's looking for his hotel."

I told him we would look for this guy to help him find his way, and told Mary and Mitchell the description the cop had given me.  "Seriously, Steph?  That could be anyone."

We never found that guy... I hope he's okay.  Because let's be honest: if he was looking for a hotel he was in the wrong part of town.  There are no hotels in IV. 

It was a long night.  We left IV at around 2:30 am.  But it was a good night.  For all the people, and the sadness, knowing that we helped that one girl made it all worth it.  For one night I was able to keep my mind off my problems and help someone else.

I think I have found a new tradition for my Halloweens.


Philippians 2:4

No comments:

Post a Comment