Saturday, January 1, 2011

Breaking the Rules

I like to push boundaries and bend rules.  Not completely...Just enough to tell myself that regardless of the situation I still have some semblance of control.  Yes.  I am one of "those people."  I enjoy being just a little contrary.  And sometimes I go against the grain - just a little - simply to add excitement to life. 

Usually, however, when I work with kids I tend to stay within the guidelines.  Not everything in the field of Child Development has stood the test of time.  There is a lot of "pop psychology" that briefly finds its way into the field, only to be forgotten a few years after the thousands of books get published.  I figure that if I combine the theories of Piaget, Vygostky, Bronfenbrenner, and other big shot Child Developmentalists I figure I'm pretty good.  And ultimately, I feel that if I go into a house with a dedication to love (the child and their family) I am going to do some good.

A few weeks ago I decided to break the rules a bit.  In school I was taught to pretty much keep food out of the equation when working with kids.  Never use food as a reward.  Food is for eating and keeping the body healthy - not playing with.  If you absolutely must use food with kids, make sure it's healthy food, to teach good habits.

Right.

I made Christmas graham cracker trains with a few kids.  And how do you make a graham cracker train without frosting and candy?  Just call me the Rule-Breaker. 

Officially these are the areas we worked on while making the Christmas graham cracker trains:
     - Fine Motor Skills
     - Hand/Eye Coordination
     - Problem Solving
     - Abstract Reasoning
     - Spatial Relations
     - Expressive Language Skills
     - Receptive Language Skills
     - Number Sense
     - Self-Control (let's be honest here: I was incredibly impressed that the 2-year-olds were able to do this and only eat the candies they were given permission to eat)

A lot of great areas of work.  But really, the main reason I did this activity was because it was Christmas time. 





 And it was just fun.

1 comment: