Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Bend in the Road

Here I am on day two of my Project 365 and I am already faced with a horrible question: What on Earth am I going to write about??
I know on some days there will be PLENTY to write about.  The issue then will be pruning so I don't overwhelm myself.  And I know there will be plenty of dry patches.  Unfortunately, in my effort to beat back the Writer's Block Beast I have begun my project in what feels like the middle of a desert. 

I suppose that isn't quite true.  There's a lot that I am thinking about, I just don't want to beat the dead horse.  Because the thing is, from where I am on this journey through life I can see a bend in the road.  (For those of you have read anything I have written you are probably familiar with my fascination with the Bend...It comes from my extreme love of Anne of Green Gables and, well, any book written by L.M. Montgomery.  Her view of life just makes sense to me.)  For so long I have seen my path stretching out before me.  Yes, there have been little dips to stumble over and hills to climb.  And every day I have found a beautiful flower, bird, view to make the day's walk more pleasant, just as every day I have limped over a pebble in my shoe or a thorn in my foot that makes things a little harder to deal with.  But overall, my path has stretched out before me in a straight line.  There has been frustration because of that - I have felt trapped and caged on the path - but there has also been comfort.

I have known what I will do each day.  I am surrounded by people who love me and who lift me up high enough to keep me basically out of reach of those that will drag me down.  It has been a comfortable place, if not overly exciting, and as much as I have complained about it I find myself wishing it could stay.  There's a big bend in the road coming up and I am not 100% sure about where it will take me.  I won't say now just what the bend looks like; it's too far off and I, myself, am not quite sure.  I do know there is one coming, and while that is exciting and I have moments of wishing it sooner, I also find myself feeling just fine with the distance, and just not quite ready for it.  It's an interesting thing, that bend.  I can't quite describe it. 

And so I think an Anne quote is appropriate here:
"When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla." - Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Stepha. And now I'm ready to pull out the Anne books again. ;)

    ReplyDelete